How to Practice Physical Distancing and Social Interaction
In the wake of the COVID-19 global public health pandemic of 2020, most of us are learning new words, phrases, and technology. Our new world order includes phrases like physical distancing, social distancing, and social interaction to stay safe and engaged. To maintain our health and connect with physicians for routine and COVID-19 related care, we’ve adopted vernacular to describe new technologies like telemedicine, telehealth, telecare, and virtual care.
What does all of this mean?
Staying connected is vitally important. There has never been a more important time to stay socially interactive and to engage with friends, family, and coworkers – even though we must practice physical distancing. And, we don’t have to forgo access to medical care– even if our care is delivered virtually by our AssociatesMD primary care and specialist physicians.
Tips for Social Interaction
Social engagement is the fuel that keeps us mentally healthy.
Here’s some helpful social interaction tips:
- Try the old fashion way – pick up your phone and talk (or text!) Your family and friends would welcome your call, even if you haven’t spoken for a while. Connecting with others is a win-win for you and for the lucky recipient of your outreach. Share family updates, a joke, walk down memory lane – just connect!
- Look at your computer or tablet with curiosity. What else can your digital device do to get your connected? Schedule a FaceTime or Zoom call with friends or invite your grandchildren to a webcam story time.
- Explore new technology to connect. AssociatesMD medical group is connecting with patients through telemedicine technology that makes virtual care an easy, personalized, and cost effective way to receive timely access to quality tele-healthcare delivery from physicians known for their innovative care and dedication to excellence.
- Take a walk with your dog! If you don’t have a dog, look for people walking with their dogs. Even staying the required minimum 6-feet distance, you can experience fresh air, nature, and both human and canine interaction.
- Be creative. Challenge yourself to identify and create new ways to be interactive and avoid quarantine isolation.
Tips for physical distancing
Whether or not we have contracted or have been exposed to the new coronavirus COVID-19, we are practicing physical or social distancing with vigor in an effort to slow the disease’s spread.
Here’s some helpful tips:
- Follow guidelines from Broward County.
- If you need to shop for food or medicine at the grocery store or pharmacy, stay at least 6 feet away from others.
- Use mail-order for medications, if possible.
- Consider a grocery delivery service.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others, including when you have to go out in public, for example to the grocery store.
- Stay at least 6 feet between yourself and others, even when you wear a face covering.
- Avoid large and small gatherings in private places and public spaces, such a friend’s house, parks, restaurants, shops, or any other place. This advice applies to people of any age, including teens and younger adults. Children should not have in-person playdates while school is out.
- Work from home when possible.
- If possible, avoid using any kind of public transportation, ridesharing, or taxis.
- While golfing and other group sports are temporary on hiatus, instead engage in an individually oriented physical activity to boost your mood, reduce stress and anxiety, improve sleep, sharpen your focus, and simply help you to feel better.
- Take an online exercise class. While practicing physical distancing, actually seeing someone on your computer screen will help you to feel connected.
- Spring clean your house
One more tip!
Your trusted physicians at AssociatesMD know these unprecedented times are challenging. Your health remains our number one priority and we are steadfast in our commitment to you, our valued patient. Let us know how we may help you. Call us to connect at 1-844-954-DOCS.
For more than 20 years, AssociatesMD medical group’s multi-specialty physicians have cared for patients in locations throughout Broward with unwavering compassion and uncompromised dedication to excellence. AssociatesMD, now provides telemedicine - virtual care for easy, personalized, cost effective, and timely access to quality healthcare -- AssociatesMD TeleMed™
BOOK TELEMEDICINE APPOINTMENT